Sausage and Parmesan Dressing
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 1 Hr. 8 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
+ 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
+ 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-in. dice
+ 2 onions, cut into 1/2-in. dice
+ 1 lb. crusty Italian bread, or French bread, with crusts, cut or torn into 3/4-in. pieces (about 16 c.)
+ 1 c. Parmesan cheese, shredded
+ 2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
+ 1 1/2 c. chicken broth
+ salt and pepper, to taste
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a very large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, stirring occasionally and breaking up the pieces, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a large bowl.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the sausage. Add the bread, cheese, and herb blend to the bowl. Add the broth, gently stirring to evenly moisten. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spoon the dressing into a buttered 2 1/2-quart casserole dish. Cut the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter into pea-sized pieces and dot them over the top. Cover the dressing with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to cook dressing until heated through and top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes.
* Feel free to change or add to the vegetables in the dressing--diced fennel or chopped tomatoes would fit nicely with the Italian theme. You can also substitute 6 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) crumbled gorgonzola for the Parmesan cheese. Serve with
Italian-Herbed Crown Roast of Pork and Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Frizzled Ham.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 220; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 30mg; Total Carbs: 17g; Protein: 11g; Sodium: 590mg;