IdahoŽ Potato and Huitlacoche Soup with Oaxaca Cheese Croutons
Courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 25 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 Tbsp. olive oil
+ 1/2 Spanish onion, chopped
+ 1/2 jalapeņo pepper, diced
+ 2 large IdahoŽ potatoes, peeled and diced
+ 12 oz. huitlacoche (canned)
+ 2 quart chicken stock or water
+ salt, to taste
+ pepper, to taste
+ 8 oz. Oaxaca cheese (Chihuahua) or other similar to mozzarella
+ 1/2 c. flour
+ 1 egg, lightly beaten
+ 1 1/4 c. panko bread crumbs
+ olive oil
+ If you can't find huitlacoche, mushrooms are a good substitute, especially Portobello mushrooms with their stronger flavor.
What to do:
1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan and cook onion and jalapeņo pepper until soft, 2-3 min. Add potatoes, huitlacoche and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
2. Let soup rest for 5 min. Carefully blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
3. Croutons: Prepare croutons by cutting cheese into 1/2-in. squares. Dip in flour, then in eggs and then in bread crumbs. Fry cheese in olive oil until golden brown, about 30-45 seconds.
4. Reheat soup if necessary and serve garnished with cheese croutons.
* Recipe courtesy of Julian Medina, Executive Chef, Zocala, New York City.